26/06/2011

Duke Nukem 3D art - by 7 year-old me.

I'm sure you've heard of Duke Nukem before - ya' know, that hedonistic game character who shoots alien invaders - Either from the new Duke Nukem Forever or the old skool Duke Nukem 3D from 1996. Don't worry, there's nothing 18+ in this post!

I have been playing Duke Nukem 3D since it first came out - when I was 6 years old. Is that bad? Safe to say Duke Nukem forms a decent chunk of my childhood!

I recently uncovered a small gathering of Duke Nukem drawings I had done when I was 7 - about half a year after the games' release.

Click here to see the full album on Imgur.






The most inspiring thing about the game for me is the level design. 3D games before Duke Nukem 3D mostly involved endless, dull corridors as the setting; and not much better are the photo-realistic environments of modern games. Where's the creativity in that?
Duke's levels are an art. Not only can you explore the most wonderfully mediocre of settings, including police/fire stations, banks, subways and even a Japanese restaurant, but their layouts are simply brilliant.







Thanks for taking a look at this rather odd addition to my blog...if you like Duke Nukem 3D, don't forget to check out
DukeCraft - my Duke Nukem 3D Minecraft total conversion.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.